[Dixielandjazz] Archeophone Sounds of King Oliver

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jul 29 12:18:18 PDT 2007

Well, I have to say that even though I'm glad to own it, I, too, was less
than impressed.  On the technical end, I can't deny it's the best cleanup
ever done.  But anything Mr Davies did sounds at least as acceptable, if not
more, as his work was analog-based, and thusly involving a more "warm" tone
in the final product.  But, once again, the use of various stylii, and the
non-invasive digital cleanup, definitely produced a quality entry in the
K.O. CD pantheon.

But the final question for me is, Why not just find the reissue one likes,
and simply enjoy it?  Continuing to hope for the Ur Reissue of a set of
recordings that will never sound as good as one wants, is wasted effort, I
think.  Which is why I actually enjoy Don Vappie's *In Search of King
Oliver* more than King Oliver himself.  It's an attempt to recreate, in real
time, what he most likely sounded like live, rather than try to dredge out
of those thrashed 1923 discs what can't possible be dredged out of them.  In
terms of the 1923 discs, I think Mr Davies gave us all we can expect.
Beyond that, it's all conjecture.

As always,
----
Etc,

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon, Vicar-general
North American Old Roman Catholic Church (Utrecht Succession)
Archdiocese of California
www.naorc.org

"Simplicity, when it is not a careless gift of the Muse, is the last and
most painful achievement of conscientious self-denial." - James Russell
Lowell.