[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Bio Movies

Richard Broadie rbroadie at dc.rr.com
Sat Jul 28 00:07:33 PDT 2007

I knew and worked with Sinatra here in the Palm Springs area.  When at his
house, he had a collection of electric trains running around his office.
Years later, he had a building constructed for his ever enlarging model
train collection.  I never asked Frank "Why the trains?"   It wasn't until I
read the Bio on Tommy that I got my answer.  It had to do with the
relationship of Sinatra and T Dorsey where Dorsey loved trains and had a
collection.  Part of Frank's thing was to feel a need to outdo TD every way
he could, consciously or subconsciously.  TD had good trains, Frank had
better trains, and that's how it had to be.  That's my guess on Frank's
trains.  Book on TD was fascinating but, like Buddy Rich, Benny Goodman,
Glenn Miller, et. al. I'm glad I never worked for those guys.  Of course I'm
also glad I'm not 100 years old as I'd have to be if I did gig with them.
I'm rambling and it's after my bedtime. Good night all!  Dick Broadie