[Dixielandjazz] Kid Ory

Richard Broadie rbroadie at dc.rr.com
Fri Jul 27 23:45:41 PDT 2007

The recordings were on the Nordskog label (I believe that was the name.)  I
did the transfer from 78 original source material to tape for Floyd after
the family loaned him the masters.   I utilized several single ended noise
reduction systems including some of my own algorithms plus converted it to a
modest stereo effect that gave it a pleasing ambience that somewhat overcame
the mechanical recording process that was available prior to 1925 and the
introduction of the electric microphone.

Floyd also had intersting photos of the studio with the building still
standing at the time I did the project.  I believe the studio was somewhere
in Santa Monica but I could be wrong on that detail.  I made compies for
myself but have thousands of tapes I'd have to go through to locate them.  I
did find documentation that the players on the Creole Jazz Band included Kid
Ory, tb; Dink Johnson, cl; Mutt Carey, tpt, Ed Garland, b; Freddie
Washington,p; and Ben Borders, d.   I had the pleasure of knowing and
gigging with Tudie Garland many times over a 25 year period.  I likely have
more than 50 photos of Montudie with myself or members of my family.  If I
get a chance, I'll post them on my blog at www.richardbroadie.com.  I
digress.  Sorry.

I can confirm the 1921 recording date.

Dick Broadie