[Dixielandjazz] Bix's Tone

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jul 26 08:36:34 PDT 2007

>>>It is really a shame that we can't hear firsthand what Bix's tone sounded
like, but I think that we will never know completely.<<<

I contend otherwise.  Either on 78 or a quality restoration like "Bix Restored", we're not hearing him "live" of course, but we are hearing him as well as we're going to, and it's close enough.  The best way to really hear him, if you're lucky enough to own one, is to play the original Okeh 78 of "Singin' the Blues" on a plain, standard monaural record player, set the tone control to flat, put it to a normal volume, and quite simply put your ear as close to the speaker as you can.  It's like you can hear him fingering the valves!