[Dixielandjazz] UK Weather

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 02:43:48 PDT 2007

Rob Van der Plas emailed me to ask about our weather! (Thanks for your
concern Rob)

Things here are pretty grim for a lot of people but I just think of New
Orleans two years ago and realise that it's all relative!

We had three times an average complete July rainfall, just on Friday  (thus
permanently cocking up the average).  Brize Norton... 4 miles away .....was
reported as having the highest rainfall  but has been downgraded to 2nd
place:-)  the prize going to Pershore in Worcestershire

Our neighbour was wonderful .....we had about three inches of floodwater
outside with nowhere to go and the rain was coming down in buckets, so he
hacked open the sealed downpipes to take some of the excess  and customised
our pond pump so that we could direct the water to saturate my flower
beds...... without his quick thinking it would have been a different story.
As it was we got away with an inch or so of water indoors..... we'll need
new carpets one day .... probably not in time for  visits from Jeff and Anne
Barnhart who are coming to do a couple of gigs mid-Aug and the whole of the
Boheme Ragtime Jazz Band who arrive the following week..... but hey what a
wonderful excuse not to be smart:-)

If you are concerned about friends and relatives, the worst hit areas in the
present flooding  (I think) are Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire, Worcestershire
and Berkshire but it's changing all the time.  Our landlines are down which
also means email for those without Broadband and cellphone coverage is
patchy. I'm happy to pass on messages if I can  but rest assured that this
is all horrible and inconvenient but people are being looked after if
they've had to leave their homes.

Incidentally I rang our insurers on Friday evening..... the next day there
was a message giving me the  phone numbers I need ..... I made it clear when
I first phoned that I was only logging my claim and was NOT a priority....so
what a brilliant service at such a busy time.  they'll be organising
de-humidifiers for us.. some time.....

I don't know if there's much to buy in the shops but I'm sure you'll be
pleased to know that we took delivery of a couple of cases of decent red
last week and we have several bags of flour and a breadmaker.

Cheers Jude

Judy Eames
Kaminsky Connection
Aston, Oxfordshire