[Dixielandjazz] Louis' "'Way Down Yonder In New Orleans"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jul 22 15:56:49 PDT 2007

Robert Smith wrote:
> I have a Europa cassette with 12 tunes, and virtually no
> discographical information. The blurb does state however that the
> cassette (No. 511 534.5) is also available as Europa LP 111 534.0.
> This has enabled me to find 11 of the titles in Jos Willems' "All of
> Me", but "'Way Down Yonder ..." has eluded me. Can any of you help me
> with the recording date for this one tune?

Dear Bob,
It would be a lot easier to help if you provide more info, as Louis
only recorded that 1922 Layton-Creamer song with his All Stars -
between 1947 and 1965.
Jos Willems wonderful book has 22 versions of it, as you've found.
Hans Westerberg's fine discography lists 16.
What Louis' All Stars period are we looking at?
Who is on clarinet? Which is a good way of narrowing down the search.
What are the other 11 titles on the cassette/LP?
Is it a complete potpourri, or do some of the sessions line up?
Perhaps we should continue this off-list so as not to upset the
anti-discographal police.
Kind regards,
Bill.