[Dixielandjazz] Bill Gunter

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Thu Jul 19 23:35:54 PDT 2007

Shalom dear list-mates,

I just heard the sad news about Bill this morning while reading DJML posts
that had backed up over the last few busy days.

I've enjoyed Bill's posts to the list, his articles in American Rag, and
lots of good natured verbal sparring on DJML for over 10 years. I had the
great pleasure of meeting Bill along with Bob Romans and the Cell Block 7
crew, and sitting in with them in Lodi a number of years ago. We encountered
one another here and there a few times over the years, most recently in
Hungary at one of Tamas' wonderful festivals just a few months ago.

Bill had a great wit and a sharp but not unkind tongue (or pen, as the case
may be). He could almost make you believe that the washboard is a real
instrument. (I also play, but cannot make one sing like Bill could.) Most of
all he was just a great all around fellow human being, and a pleasure to
know.

My deepest condolences to Bev, and I know you will celebrate more than mourn
the life of one really great guy.

Elazar Brandt
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Trumpet Ensemble
Jerusalem, Israel
www.israel.net/ministry-of-jazz
+972-2-679-2537

P.S. Once in a heated DJML dispute over some nonsense or other, I offered to
take one of Bill's posts and submit it to the Almighty for judgment by
inserting a printout into the cracks in Jerusalem's sacred Western
("Wailing") Wall. Now on this more somber occasion I will say a Kaddish
(memorial prayer) for Bill at the Wall on my next opportunity in the coming
weeks. Play a chorus of the Saints for us, Bill. We'll miss you, but we're
glad to have known you. Shalom, friend.