[Dixielandjazz] FW: Trombone technique question

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Jul 19 10:33:21 PDT 2007

David asked:
I¹ve been listening to a lot of Jack Teagarden lately. Those little
32nd-note ³ripples² or ³turns² (?) that he fires off frequently, how are
they done?

I would call them turns, myself.  I use them on occasion, but you don't want
to sound like a Teagarden wanna-be, either.  (There are plenty of those!)

How do you do it?  Dunno!  I'm worthless for explaining how to do things.
Methinks your chops are going to have to be in a flexible state, though.
You should be able to do trills (like fast, between E & G above the staff) I
would think before you could do those turns.
The trills & turns can be any place on the horn, but are easier in the
higher range.

Try practicing lip flexibility excersizes.  Play, without tonguing, & above
the staff D to F to high Bb & back down & back up (slow, then faster).
Then, move down the slide, chromatically, doing the same thing.  And, play
octave jumps (no tonguing) from Bb within the staff to high Bb & back down,
then A to A...Ab to Ab, etc. Octaves are good ear training, also, to help
you play in tune.

Maybe more learned souls will be able to add to or correct me, 'cause I just
play the thing, I don't talk about it often.

Jim