[Dixielandjazz] BSB

eupher dude eupher61 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 18 14:00:50 PDT 2007

>Adrian has (in a folio) what is claimed to be the original 1928 sheet
music sans verse, which uses the word "el-ite" instead of "dark and
light" in the chorus. We would love to hear from someone with an
original copy dated 1928.

The verse "come along with me" etc is NOT original.  It's credited to Glenn
Miller and/or Teagarden, and was added in about 1931 or so, the dates are
reported in conflict quite often.  The original verse is merely a 12 bar
blues.  One version of it (actually 2, one as a trumpet solo, one as a sax
soli) is on the RCA "Best of Louis Armstrong".

Frankly, if I could get away with NOT doing the "come along with me" thing,
I would.  I never have liked it, it just doesn't jive with the rest of the
tune, in my mind.

steve "opinions, yeah, I got some..." hoog