[Dixielandjazz] PC Basin Street

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Wed Jul 18 12:05:41 PDT 2007

I have a reproduction of a mid/late 1700s original proposed street
plan for New Orleans - the "Basin" of Basin Street was a "turn-
around" pool for a canal  - it does not show up on any of the maps here:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/maps/louisiana/
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/new_orleans_1798.jpg  is
pretty interesting.
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/new_orleans_1816.jpg lists
an "intended canal"

I found this bit of info - that canal of Canal Street was never built!
http://www-faculty.cs.uiuc.edu/~friedman/canal/Canal.htm
> In the early 1800s, a canal was supposed to have been built down
> the middle of this commons, 50 feet wide, connecting the
> Mississippi River to the Basin Canal (also called the Carondelet
> Canal).  The latter canal, now filled in, formed a connection to
> Lake Ponchartrain, running from Bayou St. John to Basin Street,
> where it ended in a large turning basin.  The plan called for 60
> feet of reservation on each side of the new canal.  The proposed
> canal was never built, but the result was a 170 foot wide commons
> area, which gradually evolved into a street with two roadways
> flanking a central reservation.

(so Basin Street was actually about 7 or 8 blocks from the river, but
there were many brothels in Storyville, built along Basin Street,
just outside the French Quarter. So the "dark and light folks" were
meeting in Storyville ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storyville has some tidbits...

Dave Richoux