[Dixielandjazz] More on Jasmine's Turk.

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 18 09:57:23 PDT 2007

>>>I ordered and recently received from World Records these two CDs
to replace the old LPs that I have worn out over the past decades and
it's so great to hear the fresh sounds of Turk's bands.  Don Klinch and
Everett Farey on trumpet, Wally Rose, and Bob Short's tuba, never
sounded better than on the four discs in these two sets.  And Bob Helm -
he shines in high and low registers!  Jim Thompson, if you don't have
these recordings of your man Helm the by all means get them!<<<

And what's more amazing is that whenever you see any Columbia item reissued by anyone other than Columbia, know that the reissuer worked from actual discs and NOT master tapes, which apparently CBS is not in the habit of loaning whenever they exist (it's not certain these do).  Jasmine confirmed for me a while back that they worked from mint LPs to do these reissues.  (Collectables did the same for the Condon reissues.)  And I must concur that the sound is wildly good.  Even on those "final" tracks that always sound worse than the rest -- I can detect some distortion, but only because I KNOW they're final tracks.  Which is good.  Now all we gotta pray for is the Verves and Roulette's!