[Dixielandjazz] internet radio threatened? OKOM in jeopardy?

Richard Broadie rbroadie at dc.rr.com
Tue Jul 17 16:31:12 PDT 2007

I'm finally preparing to reenter the fray on DJML after a long absence.

Have you folks been following the internet radio/royalties battle going on right now.  Lots of our favorite online music sources are being threatened by the RIAA subsidiary SoundExchange who want providers to pay major royalty fees.  Theoretically the fees would be distributed to the musicians who's music is being webcasted.  It's an interesting mess.

I've not been following djml closely for some time and don't know if this thread has been addressed.  Our ability to listen to okom online is going to be affected.  I'd be interested in your comments.  If I'm a day late and a dollar short on this thread I do apologize.

Dick Broadie

A very relevant link from 4 hours ago:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/17/technology/internet_radio/