[Dixielandjazz] PC Basin Street

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue Jul 17 11:06:03 PDT 2007

I don't know who wrote down this Louis Armstrong version (nor when it
was recorded) but it turns up on several web lyric pages - out of the
40 or so Armstrong records I have, none with this version as I recall.

<http://www.lyricsfreak.com/l/louis+armstrong/basin+street
+blues_20085360.html>

> Where all them folks goin to the st. louis cemetary meet
> Heaven on earth.... they call it basin street
>
> Im tellin ya, basin street...... is the street
> Where all them characters from the first street they meet

This Armstrong video is just "where the people meet" (but is mostly
scat)
http://www.albumrankings.com/showSong.php?song_id=871631

And try out this AMAZING "hip-hop" version by Kid Koala (with great
animation, no lyrics)
<http://www.hhdb.com/hip-hop-videos/89/
kid_koala_basin_street_blues_video>
(maybe not OKOM for some, but this is so well done it is worth a
listen!)

and an Ella version:
http://www.hotlyrics.net/lyrics/E/Ella_Fitzgerald/
Basin_Street_Blues.html

> Where all the proud and elite folks meet
> Heaven on earth, they call it Basin Street
>
> Basin Street is the street
> where the best folks always meet

the version posted by Perfessor Bill - he says these are the Spencer
Williams lyrics
http://www.perfessorbill.com/lyrics/lybasin.htm

> Where the rich and the poor folks meet,
> let me take you down to Basin Street.
> Chorus: Basin Street, that's the street,
> Where the elite always meet,

and Dean Martin!

<http://www.lyricsdownload.com/dean-martin-basin-street-blues-
lyrics.html>

> Where all the people always meet
> Heaven on earth they call it Basin Street
>
> Basin Street is the street
> Where the elite always meet

Dave Richoux