[Dixielandjazz] Basin Street Blues

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Mon Jul 16 22:55:55 PDT 2007

glen page wrote regarding the line in Basin Street Blues, "Where all the
light and dark folks meet":

> Regarding John's query re. a pc correct vocal, I think that anybody who
> has
> to lower themselves to bastardize the original lyrics in this case should
> think about getting themselves away from music that has a great heritage,
> or
> at the very least omit tunes that appear to offend them from their
> repertoire.
(snip)

Glen, Turk Murphy used to sing "Dark Town Strutter's Ball."  Only he left
off the words "Dark Town" and just sang "At the Strutter's ball."

Do you think it was wrong to do that?

It would be interesting to hear from, (as far as I know) the only black
member of DJML, Mike in Denver, as to his take on it.

Glen continues:

(snip)
By playing such tunes they should realize that unless they are in
> public domain they will be potentially supporting composers and lyricists
> whose thoughts or lifestyle meets with their own disapproval.

(snip)

Glen, I don't understand your point here.  And, what does that have to do
with the original question?

Am I missing something here?

Glen continues:

(snip)
> I have not seen any clear thinking individual suggest that Wagner's work
> should be removed from the classical repertoire just because he was
> Hitler's
> favorite composer.There have been several bands that have played "Under
> The
> Double Eagle" by this composer, and in all likelihood   works by less than
> honorable persons.
(snip)

Glen, I have never heard words to "Under The Double Eagle."  Are they
racist?

Glen continues:

> > Bill Russell would not release "You Are My Sunshine" recorded by Bunk
> because of the composer's political background. That was his privilege due
> to his convictions, I doubt that he would have considered releasing it
> under
> another guise.To have done so would have compromised his own ethics.
(snip)

What was the composer's political background?  And, what does it have to do
with this subject?   of

--Bob Ringwald