[Dixielandjazz] Basin Street Blues

glen page gpage at dccnet.com
Mon Jul 16 17:40:53 PDT 2007

Hi all,

Regarding John's query re. a pc correct vocal, I think that anybody who has
to lower themselves to bastardize the original lyrics in this case should
think about getting themselves away from music that has a great heritage, or
at the very least omit tunes that appear to offend them from their
repertoire.By playing such tunes they should realize that unless they are in
public domain they will be potentially supporting composers and lyricists
whose thoughts or lifestyle meets with their own disapproval.

I have not seen any clear thinking individual suggest that Wagner's work
should be removed from the classical repertoire just because he was Hitler's
favorite composer.There have been several bands that have played "Under The
Double Eagle" by this composer, and in all likelihood   works by less than
honorable persons.

Bill Russell would not release "You Are My Sunshine" recorded by Bunk
because of the composer's political background. That was his privilege due
to his convictions, I doubt that he would have considered releasing it under
another guise.To have done so would have compromised his own ethics.

Cheers,

Glen.