[Dixielandjazz] Advertising

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Jul 16 09:33:27 PDT 2007

Some time ago I told the list about a flyer that I sent out and that I had pretty good luck with them.  I did follow up a couple of weeks later with a post card.  I ordered 100 from Vista Print which cost me about $30 to send out.

So far I have played 9 jobs from the mailing with two pending.  I booked and played two more in the last two weeks, one of which was the 4th of July.  I booked NYEve this morning.  These were all from new clients.  I have one that called and is still up in the air.  I also sent another NYEve gig to a friend.  I have gotten several calls that I didn't book because of price.  There will be spin-off's from these that may last for several years in return gigs.

I think that this is an incredible return on a little effort and not really much expense.  Some of that expense could also be the color laser printer which cost me $295 about a year ago.  It does great color flyers and other things for my business.  I have more than cleared that so it was worth that expense too.  Color Sells!

My web site has been a help too.  I have booked two jobs directly from my site.  I have had it up and running for about 6 or 8 months.  My flyers and music stands have the web site address on them.  The web site relieves me somewhat from having to send out demo CD's and that is a money saver too.

For those of you who want to increase bookings for your band I think you should try sending out a few flyers.  I sent out 85.  I did work a few hours compiling a mailing list on my computer.  My next project will be to do a mailing list on Amvet and VFW groups in the area then country clubs.  I used the Microsoft Works data base program that comes with Windows.  While it's not the slickest program I have ever used it does work OK.

The yellow pages have an annoying habit of leaving out Zip codes.  Last time I called every place on my list and asked them for their Fax Number and Zip Code.  When I learn how I will do a mass fax mailing which will cut the cost even more.  You do have to watch that though and give them a method to opt out of fax advertising.

To find out the zip codes quickly just put the telephone number into Google and up will pop the complete name and address for the tele-number.
Good Luck
Larry
St. Louis