[Dixielandjazz] FW: Playing without practicing

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Jul 13 13:09:22 PDT 2007

Larry wrote:
There are probably thousands of guys out there who don't sit down with the
Arban or some other book and "practice" but keep their chops up to a
reasonable level with a once a week gig.

However, Larry, I doubt if those "thousands of guys" actually ever improve.
They just manage to stay in the same spot.  No good!

I can't do a once a week gig without a daily honking, only if it's for 10
minutes a day.  And, that 10 minutes only maintains where I was...with no
sign of improvement.  For improvement, more daily time is needed.  And, I've
been doing this, without a break, for 55 yrs now!  When I travel, I always
take my mouthpiece along, and do some lip practice daily.

I have always said that, at least with trombone & trumpet, when your chops
start to go, you just don't get any sound out of the horn, and that's not
good on a gig, to say the least.
I believe reed guys can probably get some sound out if their chops aren't
tops, even though they might be in pain.  With us brass guys, no chops = no
sound, period!

Jim