[Dixielandjazz] Playing without practicing

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Jul 13 11:26:00 PDT 2007

Bob: No one is going to convince me that someone can pick up an instrument
cold,
without practicing and play with a pro band.

I don't think I said that  - the guy on sax sounded really good but I doubt
if he had over ten minutes of endurance.  That can only come with more or
less steady playing.

I don't practice per se but I do play often.  I did a 6 hour gig a few weeks
ago on Soprano and you just don't do that without some chops.   I might add
that it was 90 degrees too.   A person might sound good but hanging in there
for the long haul is another matter.

There are probably thousands of guys out there who don't sit down with the
Arban or some other book and "practice" but keep their chops up to a
reasonable level with a once a week gig.

I majored on Oboe in college and developed very strong embouchure muscles.
Once you develop those muscles it doesn't take as much to keep them toned as
to build them in the first place.  Some people just put on muscle mass
easier than others.  My trumpet playing friend is at 70 still a very fit
man.  His dad was a pro boxer as well as a musician.  They just had muscles
and were big men.  I'm not an anatomist or biologist or whoever studies such
things but if you have the body type that supports a large muscle structure
there is no reason to believe that it wouldn't carry over into the small
muscles of the mouth.  My friend is a high note guy too and not just a
weekend one octave player.  What's pretty obvious to me is that he built up
chops when he was young and has kept them toned without a lot of regular
practice.

I would think that it would be almost impossible for someone 70 to start on
the trumpet and with any amount of practice build up high note chops with a
lot of endurance in their lifetime.

I find what drops off faster than anything is my reading.  I have to keep at
that all the time and it's tough for me to keep in shape there.

Before I stopped playing clarinet I practiced three or four days a week just
doing cross fingerings and scales that required them because they always
gave me trouble.

The guy I play with all the time does regularly practice some each day and
plays as often as possible.  He does gigs with me and two rehearsals a week
along with gigs of his own and gigs with several big bands and he's 77.  If
you want to hear what he sounds like I have some sound clips on my web site.
www.thelarryshow.com

Practice benefits anyone and I wish I did it more often but allocating the
time is another matter.  I do practice when gigs fall off to keep the chops
up.
Larry
St. Louis