[Dixielandjazz] Benny Goodman

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 12 21:46:32 PDT 2007

Interesting article on Goodman's trip to Russia.

Among other things, I guess Goodman was notoriously tight with a dollar. But
Mel Powell (pianist/arranger) in talking about how inner directed Benny was,
also lauded his lack of racism. Said Powell:

"Benny was one of the very, very few white people I've known who had not a
fiber of racism in him. He was absolutely, authentically color blind. . .
One of the real giveaways to his outlook was that he could be as rude to a
black man as to a white man. He did not get patronizing, or suddenly gentle.
Not at all. And I always found that admirable."

Interesting man, Benny Goodman.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

"Jazz and Freedom go hand in hand. That explains it. There isn't any more to
add to it." - Thelonious Monk.