[Dixielandjazz] "Under the bamboo tree", w/ Bunk Johnson?

confit at isp.com confit at isp.com
Thu Jul 12 07:32:55 PDT 2007

<snip>

Hi All. Heard a tape, source etc. unknown, that sounded like Bunk Johnson
on trumpet, with "Under the bamboo tree", "Down home rag", "Do what Ory
say", "Maryland my Maryland", perhaps "1919 March". Aside from the fact
that "Under the BT" sounded like a nice tune that might end up in my
forthcoming "20s-30s Fake Book", this collection was expertly played and
really exciting. I'd like to get it on a CD. I don't know whether it was a
compilation from multiple sources or was a single album--it sounded like
the latter.

The Worlds Records database didn't show any CDs with "Under the bamboo tree".

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
--Sheik
Dave Littlefield banjo, piano, guitar, washboard
http://americanmusiccaravan.com

Sounds like the 1940s recordings by Kid Ory, with Mutt Carey on trumpet.
Available on Good Time Jazz CD 12002 and GHB 10.

One of the best online resources to find information on specific
recordings of tunes is allmusic.com . Search can be done by artist, song
or album. Generally the information is limited to recordings available on
CD, so for those looking for 78 rpm-era recordings that haven't been
recorded, you're out of luck.

Regards,
Chris Buch