[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet Newbie

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Jul 10 21:12:50 PDT 2007

I too play around with brass.  I have a Flugelhorn and a trumpet.
Unfortunately I don't have the time to practice regularly and build up some
good chops.  I do find that the trumpet is much easier to improv on than the
woodwinds.  It almost makes me wish I had started on a brass instrument in
the first place.

I do take my flugelhorn on gigs occasionally and as long as I don't try to
get out of my range I think it sounds pretty good.  I have to practice
everyday for about two weeks before a gig to pull it off.  I sit down with
Band in a Box and just play tunes.

The guy I play with all the time cringes when I pull out my trumpet for
Cinco De Mayo once a year.  I tell him I'm the band leader and to please
keep his comments behind my back and to not laugh too hard.

When I do that the civilians go "wow" look at that guy playing all those
instruments.  I don't tell them that I can only play an octave and in
limited keys and know only about a dozen tunes.  We can keep a secret among
us girls can't we?
Larry
St. Louis