[Dixielandjazz] sitting in

Jhopkins jazzclarinet at cox.net
Tue Jul 10 10:37:21 PDT 2007

Last Sunday at our weekly gig in Scottsdale, Arizona two brothers came in the club (18 and 20 years old). the 18 year old (Chris Rice) had his cello with him. At our break we had the kids play ..Jonathon on piano and Chris on cello. They did a boogie woogie, two beautiful classical pieces then the two of them played "Its a Small, Small World" on the piano (a very jazzy version). They got a standing ovation. I asked the cello player to join us for the next set. He played every tune I called beautifully.....most of them for the first time. It was amazing. We played Blues Skies, Kansas City Man Blues, Over the Rainbow, Royal Garden Blues, Embraceable You, Beale Street Blues, What a Difference a Day Makes (Bossa) and Shine.

I have hired these guys to do a couple of concerts with us....they are wonderful.

Joe Hopkins...Vice-President
AZ Classic Jazz Society
52nd Street Jazz Band
480-396-6798/602-810-5888