[Dixielandjazz] More on JazzSea Jammers Model

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Sun Jul 8 15:02:09 PDT 2007

One day in the past week or so, Scott Anthony mentioned the mentoring that
goes on via Dick Williams' JazzSea Jammers.  Thought I would expound a bit
more on how that works both because I am mighty grateful to Dick for his efforts
and because the model might work elsewhere particularly at festivals that are
 several days long.  Background is as known to me (so opinions and  factual
errors are my fault).  JazzSea Cruises, a specific brand name, so  this post is
NOT about any other jazz cruises have gone on for 25  years.  Among folks
going as audience for the 4 - 6 pro bands along on  each cruise there were always
people who either did play OKUM in  their own locations or were wannabe
players.  So about six years ago  Dick offered to be the organizer and director for
all these folks  to be able to jam.  When individuals sign-up for the cruise
they are asked  if they would like to be a JazzSea Jammer and on what
instrument.  Dick  sends a playlist of about 100 tunes with keys to all who sign up.
You  can also refer to lead sheets (Littlefield Fake Book #1 has most of the
tunes,  you may have to adjust a few keys).  And if using the book, you will
have  to organize yourself to accomplish finding pages with a minimum of fuss,
not be  hidebound to it, improvise reasonably on your solos and accompaniment,
etc.

Scott was correct in that the Jammers are playing as many, probably more
sets than the pro bands even though individual Jammers will  not ordinarily be
playing that much.  Dick organizes all those  who signed-up into groups per set.
 He also does a playlist per set--but  these may not get followed for lots of
good reasons that have to do with  director instincts and judgement.  Dick
knows the capability of some of the  Jammers better than others as there are
always new Jammers signing up.   This is part of the great fun of being a Jammer.
 Each set is brand new in  terms of who the group is, who are your strongest
players that set, what are you  going to do to off-set any problems, etc.

Another piece of the fun is that the Jammers, especially on the cruises  have
their own fan base.  Other Jammers and partners, of course.  But  also jazz
listeners who like to go find out if this set is going to consist of  train
wrecks or surprisingly good jazz.

The mentoring???  Dick will let you know clearly what he is  looking for.  He
will give you a chance in front of an audience no matter  how much a beginner
you are.  He will tell you how you can improve.   If you are one of the
"stars", he will feature you as much as he can within the  parameters that all
Jammers are also paying customers on the cruise, same as  you.  For the past
couple of years Dick has brought some Lu Watters charts  along, held rehearsals for
those who want to try those charts, and a concert  using the charts near the
end of the cruise.

Also beginning about five years ago way more banjo players were doing the
cruises than can be accommodated in a jazz grouping.  So Carol  Neumann, the
agent for these cruises now brings Tim Allan along on most of  these cruises as
the organizer and director of a banjo band.  This  group too has a fan base,
does a number of performances each cruise.  Most  banjo players prefer Tim's
group, some continue to prefer being part of the  Jammers.  There are lots of
schedule conflicts if you try to do both.   The news I got about a month ago was
that there were only fifty spaces left on  the January 2008 cruise so it may
be sold out for now.  But I do notice  there is a cruise now announced on the
Web site for summer 2008 to Alaska.

Williams is doing JazzSea Jammers at several California festivals.  I  only
have been able to attend one of those in San Diego in 2005.  But I do  know
that any youth showing up were invited to sit in.  I have not seen any  young
instrumentalists on the cruises.  If this kind of jamming opportunity  were
available at more festivals it would be a drawing card for me --not that I  can
afford much more travel than I am already doing, but still-----
Ginny
The web site for JazzSea cruises is: >_http://www.jazzsea.com/_
(http://www.jazzsea.com/) <