[Dixielandjazz] James Cower - Trumpet blues

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Sat Jul 7 19:46:17 PDT 2007

Bill Haesler wrote:
>>     Here's a message from the Tuba-Euphonium mailing-list, and there
>> have not been any substantive replies to his question there.  I have
>> never heard "Trumpet Blues", nor do i know James Cower, but i thought
>> maybe somebody on this list might have some information they could send.
>
> Dear Dan,
> I suggest that the 'Blues" in the title has steered you in the wrong
> direction.
> It's nothing to do with OKOM, but more likely to be the modern French
> Classical music feature for trompette, composed by James Cower.
> Come on DJMLer Anton Crouch, me ole mate.
> This one is right up your alley.
> Kind regards,
> Bill.

Hello Dan and Bill

It's a rather short and dark alley, but here goes   :-)

"James Cower" is a pseudonym of the French composer Robert Martin
(1898-1982).

"Cower" wrote mainly for wind bands and his "Trumpet blues" is
described as "for wind band, with trumpet solo". As Bill has suggested,
it is probably well-removed from OKOM.

The sheet music is available at sheetmusicplus.com but is rather expensive.

All the best
Anton