[Dixielandjazz] FW: Beginner sit-ins

L Patrick Briody lpbriody at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 7 12:00:52 PDT 2007

Jim and Steve,
  I think this thread started off with a discussion about mentoring younger players.  Then it got into sitting in.  All this has been in the context of younger players.
  As one of the many "hobby" trad jazz players on this list, there is also the aspect of the more advanced (in years, but not virtuosity) player who makes a buck here and there, but really plays just for the enjoyment of it all.  Like myself.  Regarding sitting in, I have had contact with both of you in the past - Steve regarding sitting in at Sydneys in Rehoboth and Jim with the Canal Street squad in Madrid.  Neither of these worked out, but both of you were more than gracious about the whole idea.  So, to me you're both good guys albeit with somewhat different ways of expression.  I love to sit in with the pros like you, but am quite reluctant to cart my bone into a venue and hope for the best.
  Speaking of the best, Steve mentioned Doug Finke, the fine trombonist with the Independence Hall outfit.  I met Doug at the Sacramento Fest some years ago and later on a JazzSea cruise.  Doug was the epitome of a solid mentor, holding sessions for all the bone men there and also providing one-on-one guidance to me.  Did he see potential?  At my age of 70?  I don't think so.  He was just a good guy.  Playing beside him was a thrill - kind of like a kid would get.
  Best regards,
  Pat

Jim Kashishian <jim at kashprod.com> wrote:
  I wrote:
>So, sitting in is obviously not the "only way"!

And, Steve answered:
My statement which you quote, says nothing about "sitting in". Your
inference based upon it: ("So, sitting in is obviously not the only way!")
is faulty.

I was writing under "your" subject title which is "Beginner sit-ins", so the
subject was sitting in! Nothing faulty there, only your original
statement......

Jim