[Dixielandjazz] Mentor - Teacher - On The Job Training

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 6 21:06:38 PDT 2007

sbrager at socal.rr.com wrote (polite snip)

>The problem is compounded by the fact that there are fewer venues where
>Dixieland is played.

>Perhaps Steve would like to create a registry for mentors and those seeking
>to learn.

Yes, part of the problem may be the lack of places where Dixieland is played
in some parts of the USA, but not in the NYC-Philadelphia-Wash DC corridor.
That's why I get excited about helping young kids by having them sit in with
us. If in other parts of the country there are few venues where it is
played, then why do we teach it? Shouldn't we then be teaching kids "How to
Get Dixieland Gigs 101"? Or "How to Play In Venues Where The Younger
Audiences are 201."

Part of the problem may also be using "mentor" and "teacher" as synonyms. In
the context of this thread, they are two different things. The original
thread talked about getting personally involved with young kids, to include
them sitting in with experienced jazz musicians on gigs. To expand that
thought, mentoring might also include helping them understand the business
of music and how to get compensated properly for what they do.

We seem to have gotten off the original topic and confused about "music
teachers". And some folks got their knickers in a knot thinking I was
ignoring all of the Dixieland teachers out there, especially those on the
West Coast of the USA.

Totally Wrong. I love and admire all music teachers. OKOM, Modern Jazz,
Classical, Rap, Rock, etc. They also live in a creative world.

However, I am talking about helping kids on the job, not in a class, or at a
jazz camp and would be quite enthusiastic about compiling a registry of band
leaders, like me who will help kids by letting them sit in with their bands
and going further on a one to one mentor basis if the situation warrants it.

Can I count on you to be the second registrant Stan?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone