[Dixielandjazz] Chord progressions, Bill Bailey etc.

Kent Murdick kmurdick at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Fri Jul 6 06:23:06 PDT 2007

To answer someone's post out there, I think the most important root
movement in tonal music- regardless of chord quality - is the VI, II, V,
I.  As far as Bill Bailey having a B dim instead of G7, it doesn't
matter.  B dim is just the b9 substitution G7 and this is as old as
Bach. The 2nd change in the 8 bar Bill Bailey sequence can be  II7 or
#IV dim or IVmin or even bII7. BTW, all of this is just my opinion.  I
try to tell people not to listen to me, but they won't listen to me.