[Dixielandjazz] Youth Jazz Mentors

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Fri Jul 6 00:06:22 PDT 2007

And Simon Stribling who has been mentoring Bria Skonberg and the Mighty
Aphrodite.

We have a gal here in Davis who has two youth bands and works with them for
free.

There is another one who started a youth band when the kids were in about
the 6th grade and kept them together until they all graduated from
high-school.

And how about that great bass player in LA, can't remember his name off
hand.  he is doing a marvelous job with the kids down there.

There are so many of these mentoring types that Steve does not know about.

And, when I am on a paying gig, I am not going to ask a rank amateur to sit
in with my band.  AS I said in an earlier post, if one comes in who is good,
maybe not pro quality but I see the potential, I will ask him/her.

But to inflict a beginner or no-real-talent on the audience and on the
person signing the check, no way.

And remember, there are no OKOM bands working 6-nights a week except for Jim
Cullum.  And Jim has often asked youth players to sit in with his band.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
916/806-9551
www.ringwald.com
--
Leader, The Fulton Street Jazz Band
www.fultonstreetjazz.com

"The bottom line of any country is, what did we contribute to the world?
We contributed Louis Armstrong." Tony Bennett  --