[Dixielandjazz] Bill Bailey last time

Tamas Ittzes bohem at fibermail.hu
Thu Jul 5 13:27:21 PDT 2007

Sorry folks, this is my last posting on the subject. I just do not
understand, why most list mates describe the Bill Bailey-type last bars
as this:
---------
It goes like this
IV, II7, I, VI7, II7, V7, I, ( T.A.)
--------------
No, it is NOT a II7 in the 2nd bar. It is a IV#dim7. In F major, the
bass line has to be Bb-B-C-D-G-C-F. But in the melody over the B natural
there is a G sharp (with the word "blame") and it makes II7 impossible.
But, on the other hand, a IV-II7-I chord progression (obviously with the
basic note (Bb)-third note (B)-fifth note (C) in the bass) is a no-no.
IV7-II7 is a non-existing chord-progression. II7 is related to some way
to IV#dim7 but can not replace it in this progression. And take it into
consideration that between the melody and the bass line, there are two
kinds of movements, parallel and opposite. In this case, parallel is the
right solution as there is an ascending tendency in both the melody and
the bass.

Sorry, it might sound too theoretic and I might not be able to make my
thoughts clear enough in English - gimme a piano, and I'll show you what
I'm about to say... I might be wrong, though, but I doubt it. Let me
know. Regards,

Tamas
Tamas ITTZES
violin teacher, ragtime pianist, festival organizer
Bohem Ragtime Jazz Band
Kecskemet Jazz Foundation
Mailing address: H-6001 KECSKEMET, Pf. 652., Hungary
Phone: +36(20)82-447-82
E-mails: tamas at bohemragtime.com, bohem at fibermail.hu
Web site: http://www.bohemragtime.com