[Dixielandjazz] Charlie's chord progressions

Kent Murdick kmurdick at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Thu Jul 5 05:57:55 PDT 2007

Emily Remler (sp?) the jazz guitarist once said that she learned to
improvise by taking chord segments (like Charlie's), writing out 10
solos over each one and memorizing them in all keys. She said that once
she did that, she could solo like a pro.

I'm currently learning to play saxophone and can solo a little bit, but
I'm going to try a scaled down version of Emily's idea.  I'm going to
take four chord segments, write  five solos and learn to play them in
five keys.  If this changes my life, I'll do the larger project.