[Dixielandjazz] Familiar 8 bars (or 7 or 6 or 12)

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 4 07:10:41 PDT 2007

For my money the most familiar chord progressions in jazz are the old bridge
chords used by so many tunes. What we New Yorkers referred to as the "Sears
& Roebuck" bridge. I don't know the exact statistics, but that bridge is
very commonly used.

Kind of like the "I got Rhythm" changes used in modern jazz.

So Bill Bailey, whether you want 7 or 11 or 8 or 12 or 16 or 32 bar strains
is not the only set of changes to consider.

Jamey Aebersold has play along sets devoted to the turnaround cycles using
the II and V7 chords, as well as the II / V7 / I progression which he claims
are "the most important building blocks of jazz and popular music."

Or consider the cycle of 5ths (or 4ths if you prefer) Very commonly used.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone