[Dixielandjazz] Bill Bailey last 7 bars

Scott Anthony santh at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 3 16:27:59 PDT 2007

I was just about to respond the same way. It really is 8 bars.

Whenever I teach banjo or guitar (which is rarely, for sure), I emphasize
the fact that most (not all) popular songs follow one of a number of harmony
progression "patterns" as well as basic structures, like AABA ("I Ain't Got
Nobody"), or just AA (like "Indiana"). "Bill Bailey" just happens to be a
well known example of one of the structures (ABAC), and the chord
progression for the last 8 bars is shared by maybe hundreds of tunes.

IMHO.

Scott Anthony