[Dixielandjazz] The 1951 Bob Cats

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 3 15:31:14 PDT 2007

John Petters at jdpetters at btinternet.com wrote:
>> Steve Barbone wrote:
>> Billy Butterfield et al with the March of The Bob Cats. Note Eddie Miller on
>> Tenor. (remembering the past thread about where does the tenor sax fit in)

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQf0ijzwk-0

> Note Ray Bauduc's superb drumming. That is what it is all about.
> Billy was in great shape on the video, unlike a sad couple of gigs he
> played here in the UK in the 80s. He was a sick man and I was really
> looking forward to playing with him, but his lip and tone had gone. A
> few months later he left the building. Yank Lawson, on the other hand,
> was still blowing incredibly strong in 1986.

Yes, Bauduc was a keeper.

I never played with Billy Butterfield, but knew him and his relatives. They
lived in Virginia and ended up in the horse world. We would run across them
at various equestrian events.

I did gig with Yank Lawson a few times back in the 1950s. He was the loudest
trumpet player I ever stood next to on a band stand. We were working
unamplified at the Hotel Carlton Rathskeller, a college hangout on Long
Island with lots of ambient crowd noise. He just blew loud and cut through
it all. I almost blew my brains out on that gig.

Drummer Kenny John did that one a few times too.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone