[Dixielandjazz] Joe Ascione

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 2 15:05:30 PDT 2007

Tamas Ittzes bohem at fibermail.hu wrote (polite snip)

>Hi everyone,

>We just came back from Ascona, Switzerland and certainly had a good time
>at the JazzAscona festival. I don't know if Joe Ascione has MS or not,
>but he was playing 10 nights in a row, 2 hours a night. He was working
>hard and played well. His right forearm and hand was dressed all the
>time (especially at the wrist) and we could tell that playing was
>painful to him but he did a good job. I thought it was just a simple
>injury, wouldn't think of MS.

Hi Tamas and Listmates

What you saw was a bandage for a hand injury that occurred a month or so
ago. Not sure, but I think he broke a finger, or wrist, or something. He
played there through that injury, pain and all. A couple of weeks earlier,
he cancelled a few gigs because of the pain.

He also has MS, but masks it pretty well in performance. In my experience,
he is the best drummer I ever gigged with.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone