[Dixielandjazz] Bill Bailey Chord Progressions

Stanley A. Klein sklein at cpcug.org
Sun Jul 1 14:41:04 PDT 2007

When I had my web page I had an article in an FAQ giving a list of Bill
Baileys based on a Potomac River Jazz Club radio program from the early
1980's.  The program was compiled by Dave Robinson.  I simply
transcribed all the tunes either played or mentioned off my tape of the
program.  Dave talked about three chord progressions as being the most
frequently occurring in jazz: the blues, something he called the "Buddy
Bolden" progression (I have never completely figured out what it is or
what tunes it applies to), and the Bill Bailey progression.  I've
provided the article below.

If the "Buddy Bolden" progression is the second most frequent in jazz,
there must be more tunes that use it.  I would be interested in a larger
list.  I got two hints in a discussion with Don Rouse, who hosted that
program, but I don't have a recording of it.

Stan Klein

Here is the article:

Based on Jazz Band Ball radio program of 12-11-83 entitled "Bill
Bailey by any other name".  According to Dave Robinson, who
hosted the program, the top three chord progressions in
traditional jazz are:

1.   Blues chord progression

     (Tunes too numerous to mention.)

2.   The "Buddy Bolden" chord progression

Discussed in a previous Jazz Band Ball program hosted by Don
Rouse.  Example tunes (based on a brief discussion with Don
Rouse):

I'm a Ding Dong Daddy From Dumas
Oriental Man

3.   The "Bill Bailey" strain:

Tunes that use the same 32-bar chord progression as Bill Bailey,
based on tunes mentioned during "Bill Bailey by any other name".
(Tunes in this list include marches, pop, and country/western as
well as jazz.  However, many of the "non-jazz" tunes have been
recorded by jazz bands.)

Won't You Come Home Bill Bailey
Tiger Rag ("hold that tiger" strain)
Milenberg Joys (two strains)
Washington and Lee Swing
  (also recorded early as Louisana Swing and The Swing)
Slide, Frog, Slide (second strain)
The Second Line
Bourbon Street Parade
Down in New Orleans
Good Old Days at a New Orleans Soiree
I'll Take That New Orleans Music
March of the Charcoal Greys
Under the Double Eagle
March of the Hoodlums (third strain)
Parade of the Pieces
Parade of the Wooden Soldiers
Creole Rag
339 Rag
Market Street Stomp
Polka Dot Stomp (first strain, modified)
Memphis Stomp
Stockyard Strut
Ancient Bottle Strut
Over the Waves
Cirrabirrabin
Moonlight and Roses
Oh How I Miss You Tonight
Amapola (pretty little poppy)
Hey, Engineer is This Train Going South
Fireworks (first strain)
Louisville Special
Vine Street Drag
Hindustan (modified by flat 6th chord in bars 27 and 28)
Trudy
Sittin' In (Chu Berry and Roy Eldridge recording)
Boys From Harlem
Daybreak Express
Just Because
Mexicali Rose
Clink, Clink, Another Drink
Beer Barrel Polka ("roll out the barrel" strain)
Teddy Bears Picnic (one strain)
Could Be
I've Got My Eyes On You
Walk Right Back
Allez Vous En
I Love You and Don't You Forget It
Boot To Boot (modified by adding bridge of about 10 bars)
Move the Body Over (modified by adding bridge of about 10 bars)