[Dixielandjazz] Preservation Hall Jazz BAnd

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Sun Jul 1 12:04:54 PDT 2007

I have been squelching my response thoughts on the posts about the PHJB
"changing".  Here's the end of my being able to keep quiet.  One thing  that
prompted their change may have been that they were losing talent trying to  be as
they were.  I am not positive if Don Vappie said this to me or it is  hearsay
from others who, like me, keep up with Don's music a bit.  At any  rate the
idea was that Don, who was with PHJB for some period of time became  frustrated
with not being able to grow and progress musically within the  confines of how
PHJB wanted to define themselves at that time.  Don is  doing well with the
group he started.

One interesting aside.  About 1 1/2 years ago I took a ? 87 year  old
African-American friend (born in rural area around New Orleans, stood  outside the
joints listening as a teen-ager), to hear Don Vappie and Victor  Goines in an
informal concert at Joplin House.  My friend, Walter, was  beside himself with
joy, saying, "This is the first time I've heard THIS  music since I was a
teenager".  (Walter has heard lots of music in the  intervening 70 years.)  If
Walter's reaction intrigues you, you might want  to explore Vappie's "sound".
further.
>_http://www.vappielle.com/index.html_ (http://www.vappielle.com/index.html) <

Ginny