[Dixielandjazz] Cherokee

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 31 21:02:21 PST 2007

When Sandoval played in Stockton a couple of years ago, it was terrible.
He's a fantastic trumpet player...super-virtuoso, no doubt about that, but
he was rude and insulting at the rehearsal to the Delta College Jazz band
that was accompanying him...also to the Modesto JC jAzz band the day before!
I have ex-students and close friends playing in both bands who gave me their
first-hand experinces.
But what REALLY got me, was he played PIANO and DRUMS most of the concert!
It was performed in a beautiful auditorium...sightwise AND acoustic wise!
Ten feet tall speakers were not needed at all! They were blasting us out!
Ten minutes into the second half of the performance, about one-third of the
audience gave him a walking ovation out the door! TOO loud, too much piano
playing/drumming!
Never again!
Warmest regards,
Bob Romans,