[Dixielandjazz] Floyd Levin RIP

Richard Broadie rbroadie at dc.rr.com
Wed Jan 31 18:22:42 PST 2007

Hi again.  Part of the text in the message I just posted didn't make it to you.  Here's the entire message.  Maybe, someday, when I learn how to do email, I'll stop making these mistakes.

Sorry I don't have time to visit you more often.  When they said "Retirement isn't intended for sissies" I didn't realize I'd have to be working THIS HARD!

My kids gave me a new website for Christmas last year.  www.richardbroadie.com .  Other than an interview and my piano playing in the background during a Gerald Ford tribute, there ain't much there yet.  Seem like I only have time to do 3 things these days:  Play jazz, do engineering gigs (mostly restoration of old jazz material) and pay tributes to lost friends.  Hope I can get out of the latter business for quite a while and post some music and video that swings on the web.  For several who are asking about the book, it should be out soon.  It's nearly finished.  Stories describing my extremely close relationship with Hoagy Charmichael and Frank Sinatra should take up at least two sentences.

Dick

(take 2 - as intended)

Dear Lucille,

Over a period of nearly 50 years, I had the honor and pleasure of knowing you and Floyd.  I've been blessed to have shared countless luncheons, festivals, concerts and jam sessions with you both.  I felt honored when Floyd wrote lyrics and submitted them to me before anyone else to do his music.  And likewise I felt honored when I did engineering projects preserving historic recordings at Floyd's behest.  When jazz preservation or education had needs, Floyd served those needs well. Of course he reshaped jazz history with the Southern California Hot Jazz Society and his battles to get the Louis Armstrong statue funded and placed in New Orleans.   I'll not forget when Floyd and I did battle together in opposition to unwaranted criticism of him by Leonard whats-his-name who used to write for the Times.  In late 2001, Floyd sent me his book with the inscription, "To Dick Broadie - I am long awareof your great musical and technological contribution to Classic Jazz - Thanks! (signed)  Floyd Levin" Floyd,  I will never forget your contributions to Classic Jazz!  It's my turn to express a most profound thanks.
Lucille, together, Floyd and I said goodbyes to Harvey Brooks, Andrew Blakeney, Teddy Buckner and so many others.  It saddens me greatly that I will not be able to attend Floyd's final goodbye.  I'm rambling here with a lump in my throat.  C'mon, Floyd.  Where are you with your editorial skills when I most need them?

Floyd - march proudly now with those saints! Say Hi to Louis and the gang for me, okay?   Lucille, forgive me for rambling here.  No amount of words can express my love for both of you. I'm going to stop trying.

Dick Broadie
Palm Springs, CA