[Dixielandjazz] Other Virtuoso Cherokees

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 31 17:42:34 PST 2007

Glad some like Wynton's Cherokee. I posted it to show the broad spectrum of
jazz that he enjoys. Yessir, the man is a player.

I always loved Clifford Brown's Cherokee. Here is a strange video of Arturo
Sandoval in Madrid with something similar to it. This contains some of the 4
(or 5) part harmonic version that Sandoval did a la Les Paul after scripting
Clifford's solo. (about 2:30 into the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOuHuDRblfE

Bill, if you listen to the above it will test your ears too, however the
harmonic structure is simpler than what Wynton did.

For the adventurous there is also an Adam Makowicz UTube (who said Polish
jazz musicians can't play?) with Phil Woods at the Jacksonville Jazz
Festival in 1985. List to the speed at which the bass player, Ray Drummond
plays. Woods is no slouch either. Listen to the Bird quotes at the very end.
Kind of a tribute I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SciDywcBp8&NR

Cheers,
Steve Barbone