[Dixielandjazz] Wynton & Wild Man Blues (With BOB WILBER)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jan 30 16:00:36 PST 2007

Dear Steve,
I took off both eye patches for that one - and wholeheartedly agree - it is
a great performance.
We must certainly thank Mr Marsalis for presenting this 1920s Classic on his
stage. His own fine trumpet playing was suitably restrained for this Jelly
Roll Morton - Lil Armstrong original.
Clarinetist Bob Wilbur, as usual, shows just how deeply and genuinely
steeped he is in our music and thereby revealed that the other fine
clarinetist did not really have an ear for 'the early stuff'.
The trombones (Lucien Barbarin and Wycliffe Gordon) with their touches of
hokum certainly didn't bother me either, as I could hear shades of Tricky
Sam Nanton (Ellington) and Trummy Young (Louis' All Stars).
A unique performance. I'm glad that you gave us that YouTube link.
Kind regards,
Bill.