[Dixielandjazz] Remembering Louis Prima + Miscellaneous Ramblings

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 30 12:52:16 PST 2007

"George Thurmond" <gthurmond at stx.rr.com> wrote:

> All the talking about Prima and Smith takes me back to the "good ole
> days" in Vegas (the 50's and 60's) when you could catch Louis, Sam, and
> Lou with Keeley in a Lounge set for just the price of a drink.  They
> were then the Greatest in town, and they packed them in.  What a bunch
> of great musicians and entertainers!  I believe most of the band/combo
> was made up of New Orleans guys.  Their act was the next best thing I
> remember about my honeymoon trip to Vegas!

Oh my yes. What a great show they delivered. Lots of New Orleans guys in
Prima's band over the years, including Prima himself. In his early years he
fronted a New Orleans Jazz Band with folks like; Pee Wee Russell, George
Brunies, Eddie Miller, Irving Fazola etc.

During his Vegas years, he announced at most every show that he was an
Italian American from New Orleans. Had some neat "Italian" songs like
Angelina, please No Leana On Da Bell, (When you musha, please no pusha on da
bell) etc.

He was also a very flatulent guy and would emit noxious fumes throughout
performances, turn around, point and blame it on somebody else etc. Wild and
earthy humor from the stage.

BTW, didn't he write Sing, Sing, Sing, which BG made famous?

Quick note on Nestico. Sammy Nestico changed the spelling of his name from
Nistico which explains why the confusion about Sal Nistico being his cousin.

About LOUIS JORDAN relating to cartoon Music. He provided the music for
several Tom & Jerry cartons. One with Tom playing a stand up bass while
wooing a female cat. To hear one (Is You Is, Or Is You Ain't My Baby) and
see the cover art from several others, go to: (CLICK ON THE RED WORDS
DESCRIBING THE PICTURES)

http://www.jazzeddie.f2s.com/jazz%20n'%20tom_and_jerry.htm

Cheers,
Steve Barbone