[Dixielandjazz] Louis Prima

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Tue Jan 30 12:34:16 PST 2007

Bob Romans wrote:
> In all of these clips of Prima and Keely, she looks like she's bored as
> hell! He was probably not too easy to get along with...sure was talented
> though!
> Warmest regards,
> Bob Romans,
>
> Bob: That "bored look" was part of Keely's on stage act. She used this aloof, "I'm way out of your crude style company" bit and it worked wonderfully well. Had the occasion to catch them numerous times in Vegas when I worked there in the '50's-early 60's.

They had a timing that was marvelous, their humor sold well with
audiences, and they also played a marvelously romping semi-R&B style
with some hints of Prima's N.O. roots. Sam Buttera played the best "honk
and duck" tenor sax around in those days, but could play some pretty
fills on Keeley's quiet and gentle tunes. She had a great voice for
ballads and torch tunes. But her deadpan appearance was her schtick and
she worked it well.
Don Ingle