[Dixielandjazz] Woody Herman's Caldonia

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 30 09:57:14 PST 2007

on 1/30/07 12:29 PM, Ron Wheeler at ronald_wheeler at bellsouth.net wrote:

> Close, but only a cigarillo this time, Steve.  Woody's blazing sax player
> was Sal Nistico, not Hal Nestico.  I caught them on tour in Casablanca,
> Morocco about 1965.  He had a trumpet player in those days named Bill Chase
> who would give Maynard a run for his money on the top end.  Had to wear his
> collar open to allow for the swelling in his neck.  Like Dizzy's cheeks.
>
> Interestingly, there's another musician named Sam Nestico, who for a long
> time was an arranger for big military bands... USMC, USAF, etc.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ron Wheeler

Yes, that was a typo. I meant to type Sal Nestico, but was still spelling it
wrong. Sal Nistico it is. BTW, Sal Nistico is arranger Sammy Nestico's
younger cousin. Sammy had done HUNDREDS of arrangements including some for
Basie as well as many for High School & College Jazz bands.

Italians are always using different spellings. (barbone vs barboni) ;-) VBG

Glad to see others who dig Woody Herman's various bands.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone