[Dixielandjazz] Woddy Herman Caldonia - 1964

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 30 07:11:17 PST 2007

Charles Suhor <csuhor at zebra.net>

> Steve and all--
>
> I'm an all-out modern and well as early jazz fan but I've gotta say
> that the 1964 Herman Caldonia on youtube is an abuse if compared to the
> early version with the Four Brothers sax session. Terry Gibbs, etc.
> The early piece had form, character, and wit while the later one is
> mere jam session jazz at a breakneck speed. Not a bad jam session but a
> bad Caldonia for sure.

Can't say I disagree with you. The 4 brothers Herd was a treasure and
indicative of Herman's genius at putting great bands together.

As the years went by, his Caldonia got faster and faster like the one in
question. Though as a lover of jam sessions, I wouldn't quite characterize
it as a "mere jam session".

The You Tube Date must be wrong. Since it is Joe Lovano on the first tenor
solo, it cannot be 1964. Lovano was born in 1952 and did not join Herman
until the 1970s.

What I love about it is the fact that you can infer how a big band stint
with Woody Herman was a great way to build chops. Lovano is today, one of
the premier jazz saxophonists in the modern jazz genre, following many
others who paid their dues with one of Woody's Bands.

Cheers,
Steve barbone