[Dixielandjazz] Is a Jack higher than a spade??

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jan 29 21:48:51 PST 2007

Charlie and DJML--
     Well, Charlie is the winner of the beautiful vacation in
Irwindale (courtesy of Frank Zappa's estate) for knowing that the
quotation on my signature tag was from Pogo:

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**  "Is a Jack higher than an Ace or smaller than a Spade?"
**  "It's both, leastwise it's mostly." -- OK, who said that?

     I've been a Pogophile (to which Charlie alludes and belongs)
since about 1950 and have um... about 20 Pogo Possum comic books
(i.e., books of the comic strips from the daily papers).  Much to the
befuddled distress of my highschool English-teacher, i used to lapse
into Pogoese in both speech and prose at odd moments.
     And, lest you think that Pogo comics are off-topic to dixieland
jazz, know that Pogo's creator Walt Kelly was a big fan of Ward
Kimball's (and vice versa), who was inter alia the leader of the
Firehouse Five Plus Two.  Not only THAT, BUT (as i believe i have
recounted previously on this List) i am the proud owner of an
original Long-Playing record called "Songs of the Pogo", written (and
in a couple cases, sung) by Walt Kelly himself (which LP is now
available on CD).

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**      "We have met the enemy and he is us." -- Pogo