[Dixielandjazz] Woody Herman's Caldonia

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Mon Jan 29 21:03:22 PST 2007

Steve and all--

I'm an all-out modern and well as early jazz fan but I've gotta say
that the 1964 Herman Caldonia on youtube is an abuse if compared to the
early version with the Four Brothers sax session. Terry Gibbs, etc.
The early piece had form, character, and wit while the later one is
mere jam session jazz at a breakneck speed. Not a bad jam session but a
bad Caldonia for sure.

Charlie Suhor