[Dixielandjazz] Founder of Newport Jazz Festival puts production company up for sale

Mike C. denvertbone at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 22:28:40 PST 2007

Impresario George Wein, who brought jazz out of smoke-filled nightclubs
to mass audiences by founding the much-imitated Newport Jazz Festival
more than 50 years ago, says he has sold his production company, which
puts on music festivals from New York to Tokyo and Paris. Wein has also
partnered with Saratoga Performing Arts Center since 1978 to produce
SPAC's annual jazz fest.

"I'm concerned with preserving my legacy and, at my age, I'm still
working as hard as ever, but it was more difficult to find the funding
necessary to guarantee the future of everything we're doing," Wein, 81,
said in a telephone interview Thursday.

Wein said he had sold his company, Festival Productions Inc., to The
Festival Network LLC, a new New York-based entertainment production
company. The price was "in the millions," he said.

Wein said he became concerned about the future of his company and its
festivals as he grew older. Joyce Wein, his wife of 46 years, died in 2005.

He said he had been approached several times during the past decade
about selling his company.

The new owners assure him that the sale won't cause any major changes in
the near future in the sponsorship or programming of the 13 to 15 major
festivals his company produces annually, he said, including the JVC Jazz
Festival in New York and the Newport jazz and folk festivals.

Marcia White, president and executive director of SPAC, said she
believes SPAC will not be affected by the sale, and that the
amphitheater will continue to work on future jazz festivals with
Festival Productions under its new ownership. A company representative
will be at SPAC on Wednesday, Jan. 31, when the venue announces details
of its 2007 season, including the jazz festival lineup, White said.

The deal does not cover the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, which
Wein also founded and runs through a separate company.

"I think it is the beginning of a new chapter; I don't feel it is the
end of anything," said Wein, who will stay on as chairman of the new
company's Festival Productions division.

Chris Shields, the 36-year-old CEO of The Festival Network, said that he
approached Wein about a sale and merger last spring and that the deal
was finalized this month.