[Dixielandjazz] Fw: The Business Side To The Music Business (Unions)

Dave Hanson jazzdude39 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 25 14:32:24 PST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Dave Hanson
To: Mike
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 5:29 PM
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] The Business Side To The Music Business (Unions)

Mike,

In many cities where there is a Musicians Union there are sessions open to anyone that cares to attend, regardless of whether they are in the Union or not. I don't know where you live, but there might be a local in your town.
Checking out local jazz joints and introduce yourself to musicians you meet, along with a simple business card with your info will help people find you and get THEIR card. Sit in with any local group, bring some of your better players with you, and do your thing.

Enlarge your circle of musical friends, Union or not, and network with them.....find out what's going on, see if you can attend, find out if there are any workshops in your area, a community band that might appeal to you, and venues that might be interested in the music your group plays.

The stuff I recommend takes time, energy, patience and gas and it still might not pay off, but you will never know unless go out and try. This is a tough industry and one of the big problems, are the groups that will play for very little, for free, for the door, or maybe pay the club manager to play at their venue. Hard to believe, but it's going on all over the place.

I could go on and on, but there are a couple of listmates on the DJML can also give you some advice so I will attach this to the list.

The best of luck !

Dave Hanson