[Dixielandjazz] "To be or not to be" (a jazz musician)

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 25 13:01:43 PST 2007

Mike <mike at railroadstjazzwest.com> wrote

> Miles has himself been the target of accusations of not being a
> jazz musician when he went into fusion in the 1970s.

Yes indeed he has. But like Miles always said, (something like): You think I
give a s*** what others think? I still got my Ferrari!

IMO, Miles was special. He changed the way jazz music was played about 6
times and got loads of grief for it. As well as a large, appreciative,
paying, audience. His albums still sell a ton today.

I loved the man, and his philosophy of doing it his way. Much like my pal
the late West Chester Artist, Tom Bostelle, who had this sign hung above his
studio door, reading; (or something close to it)

"All those who enter my studio, please
Spare me your plaudits or criticism.
I will not react to either,
For I know what I am doing
and I am not doing it,
Specifically for you."

Like Miles, Tom was his own man and also quite successful artistically. Both
could care less about those who neither got nor liked what they were doing.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone