[Dixielandjazz] FW: Al Hirt Describing His Music

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Wed Jan 24 15:08:46 PST 2007

Hi Jim:

Yes, it can often be narrow indeed , but like you said If you choose to
make it narrow.  I choose to not make mine narrow and it has been very
rewarding to do it my way so far.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, I don't find Dixieland music to be
a narrow genre, but I have met a lot of very narrow minded Dixieland
critics and musicians who refuse to expand it beyond the narrow
interpretations of it, that they particularly like or feel the most
comfortable in hearing and or playing.

Perhaps if Dr. Timothy Leary had laced a few of their beers back in the
sixties with his mind altering LSD they would have expanded their
musical horizons a bit and pushed the envelope to make more of it
acceptable to younger generations and still being able to preserve the
original roots of the genre at the same time.   I think far too many
simply retreated from the Front Lines of the music industry and turned
tail and ran to the rear as fast a s possible and decided to become
Preservationist rather than pioneers.

But that's just my opinion, good or bad.  If da shoe fit wear it if not
go barefooted in the park.

Cheers,

Tom  "Burger King"  Have it Your Way  Wiggins